OUR TOP TIPS FOR WRITING ENGAGING INSTAGRAM CAPTIONS
Let’s just break the ice right away—There’s no secret formula or magic recipe that makes writing captions easy.
Yeah. Shocking! We know.
The truth is, sometimes writing captions can feel like a daunting task and the last thing you want to spend your time on considering the many other things on your plate. We feel you, girl! When it comes to sparking a conversation on a tiny square, authenticity always wins. Aka be yourself!
An image will stop the scroll but your caption will seal the deal.
Authentic captions that invite conversation really are the difference-maker when it comes to engagement on your content. Caption prompts will help get things started but in the end, your personality is what will turn a double-tap into a customer.
Writing a caption that compels people to respond is a bit of a science…but one that can be learned! And spending your time on meaningful, engaging captions is time well spent.
Once you start approaching your captions from a place of connection and not sales, you will be able to show up for your tribe in ways you never thought possible.
In this post, we’re going to share our tried & tested methodology to getting started with writing captions that spark a conversation.
We promise that if you follow these 5 steps you will be writing captions like a pro in no time and you will see the difference in your engagement!
1. Speak authentically about relevant content in your industry. If you’re ever stuck on what to post, search trends in your niche and share them with your audience. Use your research to write 1 post a week that is educational or insightful to your audience.
Example: “have you heard that Instagram just released x,y,z?”
2. Lead with a CTA. While it’s true you should get to the point & hook your reader within the first 2 lines, it’s also true that you should kick off your caption with a call-to-action. Don’t assume your audience knows what you want them to do, you’ve gotta tell them!
Example: “Double tap if you’ve ever felt like…”
3. Write it like you say it. Do you really say “Boss Babe” in real life? If you do, that’s cool and you’re way cooler than us but if you don’t, then don’t write that way! We start picking up weird phrases when we sit down to write, huh? If you are having trouble finding your authentic voice try recording a caption as a voice note on your phone as if you were talking to a friend about it instead of writing for Instagram.
Example: “Darling, please visit the…” vs “Hey girl! Have you checked out…”
4. Show up with purpose. Remember, you attract people to your Instagram through scroll stopping images but your captions seal the deal and keep them coming back. Be someone they can rely on for solidarity, support and advice. Share your insight and what it takes to grow your business. People buy from people.
Example: “You should book me as your photographer because, x, y, z” vs “When I was a child, my father would always show me pictures of his father—who passed before I was born. These images have become my father’s most valued possession. Seeing his eyes spark and how much joy this brings him is what inspires me to do what I do every day. When I’m working with my couples, I am always thinking about capturing the moments that will become cherished photographs for a lifetime”
5. Sell without being salesy. You HAVE to talk about your product or service. That’s why you’re putting in all this work after all. Don’t let this throw you off. The best way to do this is to sell through storytelling. Share about the process, your hopes & dreams, show how your service/product has helped others, etc. Establish a connection to your audience through your offering & make it relatable to them. Position what you’ve got as a solution to their needs.
Example: Have you seen I launched a new course? Link in bio to buy it vs Wow! I learned so much while working on this launch. Did you know that x, y, z. I poured my heart and soul into developing the very best worksheets, demos, and video library to ensure my students would have access to every possible resource.
Now, if you’re thinking this all sounds great but you’re still feeling stuck on how to get started, here are 5 prompts we use ourselves to help get you going! The most important thing is to pay attention to what works with YOUR audience and build on that! And if you need help to figure what’s working, check out this other great resource here on the blog.
- Tag a friend that needs to hear this. Insert some solid empowerment or motivation right here.
- Let’s play two truths & a lie. This is a great way to just be social on Insta. Have fun + let your customers see a lighthearted side to you.
- Am I the only one that. Great conversation starter and opportunity for you to open up and relate to your customer
- Most days you can find me. Another great way to give your audience a glimpse into your life and uncover some common interests.
- Double tap if you’ve ever. Share something insightful or solve a problem that your target customer might be having.
We hope that you feel encouraged that you CAN do this! It’s not rocket science but it does take a measure of thoughtfulness and practice.
A Social Squares membership will give you access to endless beautiful imagery so that you can take the time you used to spend creating and editing images and put that toward thoughtful caption writing and meaningful engagement with your audience!
With a little intentionality, your unique voice will start to come through and you’ll build a loyal and engaged community.
We are excited for what is ahead for you!